COVID-19 Emergency Funding for Indigenous Early Learning and Child Care
The BC Aboriginal Child Care Society (BCACCS), through the Indigenous Early Learning and Child Care (ELCC) Framework, invites First Nations and Urban Indigenous ELCC Programs to apply for funding to support children birth to six years of age and their families during the COVID-19 pandemic. Download the information sheet.
How much is available?
The total amount of Emergency COVID-19 Funding available is $20,000. Nations and organizations who have previously received Emergency COVID-19 Funding (up to $10,000 for period of June 1, 2020 – September 30, 2020) are invited to apply for additional Emergency COVID-19 Funding up to a combined maximum of $20,000. New applicants can receive up to $20,000 for the period of June 20, 2020 – December 31, 2021.
Who can apply?
• All First Nations communities in BC
• Urban IELCC programs and services (Aboriginal Friendship Centres, Head Start Programs, Aboriginal Infant Development, Aboriginal Supported Child Development, Aboriginal Child Care, etc.)
What is eligible?
This funding stream is flexible and could support a number of measures to respond to priorities for children and families during the pandemic. Nations can apply to recover costs incurred beginning June 20, 2020 and for projected costs until December 31, 2021.
Suggestions include, but are not limited to:
• Continuing or re-opening child care;
• Pandemic pay for regular/existing staff;
• Providing activity kits to families;
• Providing food security to families;
• Implementing technology supports;
• Purchasing health and safety supplies;
• Temporary support staff; and
• Professional development for early years staff.
How do I apply?
In order to apply for funding, applicants need to be registered in the BCACCS online application portal. For registration information, please contact your Regional Community Facilitator.
a) If you have already registered in the BCACCS online application portal, you should receive an emailed invitation to apply with a link to the application for the Emergency COVID-19 Funding.
b) If you are not registered in the BCACCS online application portal, please contact your Regional Community Facilitator for more information.
Who is the facilitator in my region?
The Regional Community Facilitators’ information is listed on the bottom of this page.
What is the deadline to apply?
Applications close June 30, 2021. All funds must be spent by December 31, 2021.
When do communities receive the funding?
There are several steps to the funding process:
1. Invitations are sent out.
2. Application forms are reviewed.
3. Once approved, a funding agreement will be sent for signature. If your Nation/organization already has a funding agreement in place, an updated schedule will be sent for signature instead.
We will do our best to get funding to you as quickly as possible once a funding agreement is in place.
Why is this funding available?
To support emerging needs and priorities during this emergency period, the Government of Canada made funding available for activities that provide assistance to Indigenous children and families impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic.
What if we have more than one program?
Please contact your Regional Community Facilitator to determine whether each program is eligible to submit an application.
What if I have more questions?
If you have any questions, please reach out to your Regional Community Facilitator.