COVID-19 Emergency Funding for Indigenous Early Learning and Child Care
BC Aboriginal Child Care Society (BCACCS), through the Indigenous Early Learning and Child Care (ELCC) Framework, invites First Nations and Urban Indigenous ELCC Programs to apply for one-time funding to support children birth to six years of age and their families during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Recipients can receive up to $10,000 in funding for the period of June 1, 2020 – September 30, 2020.
Who can apply?
• All First Nations communities in BC
• Urban IELCC programs and Services (Aboriginal Friendship Centres, Head Start Programs, Aboriginal Infant Development, Aboriginal Supported Child Development, Aboriginal Child Care, etc.)
• Connect with your Regional Community Facilitator if you have questions
How much is available?
Up to $10,000 for the period of June 1 – September 30, 2020 to support wages and/or purchases with original receipts.
What is eligible?
This funding stream is flexible and could support a number of measures to respond to emerging IELCC priorities for children and families during the pandemic.
Suggestions include, but are not limited to:
• Continuing to operate child care;
• Supporting educators and staff who have been financially impacted;
• Providing activity kits to families;
• Providing food, water and physical health and mental health support;
• Implementing technology supports;
• Purchasing health and safety supplies;
• Professional cleaning;
• Offering respite care; and
• Developing COVID-19 plans/policies.
What is ineligible?
• Costs incurred outside the specified time period. This funding is only available for expenditures that occur during the funding period of June 1, 2020 – September 30, 2020.
• Purchases without original receipts.
How do I apply?
In order to apply for funding, applicants need to be registered in the BCACCS IELCC online portal. For registration information please contact your Regional Community Facilitator.
a) If you have already registered in the BCACCS IELCC online portal, you should receive an emailed invitation to apply with a link to the application for the Emergency COVID-19 funding
b) If you are not registered in the BCACCS IELCC online portal, please contact your Regional Community Facilitator for more information
Who is the facilitator in my region?
The Regional Community Facilitators’ information is listed on the bottom of this page.
What is the deadline to apply?
This is an open application, but please note that funding is available from June 1, 2020- September 30, 2020 so interested programs should apply as soon as possible.
All funds must be spent by September 30, 2020. Any unused money shall be returned to BCACCS.
When do communities receive the funding?
There are several steps to the funding process:
1. Registration forms are reviewed and invitations to apply are sent to eligible communities/organizations.
2. Upon receipt, application forms are reviewed.
3. Once your application is approved, a funding agreement will be sent for signature. If your organization/program already has a funding agreement in place, an updated schedule will be sent for signature.
We will do our best to get funding to you as quickly as possible once a funding agreement is in place.
Why is this funding available?
To support emerging needs and priorities during this emergency period, the IELCC Terms and Conditions of the Government of Canada have temporarily extended eligible spending to encompass any activity that provides assistance to Indigenous children and families impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic. This is a one-time funding opportunity to help assist communities and their families during this difficult time.
What if we have more than one program?
Organizations or centres with more than one program will still only be eligible for up to $10, 000.
What if I have more questions?
If you have any questions, please reach out to your Regional Community Facilitator or the IELCC Framework Implementation team at 604-913-9128 or firstname.lastname@example.org.