Funding for Indigenous
Early Learning and Child Care
BCACCS provides leadership, oversight, and accountability for new annual funding from the federal government to support IELCC capacity development among First Nations and other Indigenous communities in BC. Through IELCC Transformation Initiative funding, this is being accomplished by enhancing, expanding, and supporting innovation within existing Indigenous early learning and child care (IELCC) programs and supporting communities or regions where there are no programs and services, or where they are severely underfunded.
Listening to the Voices in Our Communities ᐅ
Have a look at some of the impact stories from communities across the province that have accessed one or more of the funding streams.
The First Nations ECE Wage Enhancement (FNWE) supports fairer wages for:
• Early Childhood Education Assistants (AECE) • Early Childhood Educators (ECE) • Infant Toddler Educators (ITE) • Special Needs Educators (SNE) and managers
Minor Capital ᐅ
Funding to support:
• Minor capital renovations
• Improvements and/or equipment or fixed asset purchases (e.g., appliances, playground equipment or upgrades, computer equipment, and technology)
ELCC Service Development and Enhancement and Planning supports delivery of early years programs and activities, such as:
• Innovative and land-based learning
• Language and cultural programming
• Parenting programs and
Areas of immediate need include: Increasing access for First Nations families; Enhancing the quality of ELCC services and supports; and Building capacity in the Indigenous ELCC sector.
Contact a Facilitator (see below) to find out more about the IELCC Transformation Initiative funding and how your community can access it.
Get in Touch
email@example.com | 778-266-9541
firstname.lastname@example.org | 778-266-9531
email@example.com | 250-895-4058
VANCOUVER COASTAL / FRASER SALISH
firstname.lastname@example.org | 250-538-2429
email@example.com | 236-330-3589
About the Funding ᐅ
Find out more about why the IELCC Transformation Initiative funding exists.
Total Investments as of
March 31, 2022
Choose a link below to view past IELCC Funding Reports and Summaries:
Resources & Downloads ᐅ
Community Planning Resources:
- Elements of Quality Child Care from the Perspectives of Aboriginal Peoples in British Columbia
- The 7 Cs: A First Nations’ Guide to Planning and Reporting Standards
- CLDP Planning Guide
The following resources provide more detailed information about the background, context, policies, and principles related to the implementation of the IELCC Transformation Initiative:
- First Nations ELCC Process Summary
- Indigenous Early Learning and Child Care Framework
- National First Nations ELCC Policy Framework
- BCACCS Interim Investment Strategy Overview
- Moving Forward with Full Hearts – IELCC May Forum Report
- IELCC Brochure
- IELCC Funding Approach and Guidelines
- Importance of IELCC
- BCACCS Response to the Federal Secretariat on Early Learning and Child Care Discussion Guide
Frequently Asked Questions ᐅ
Yes, absolutely. Each funding opportunity provides funding for an identified “stream” with the hope of providing holistic funding.
Do we have to apply annually for the funding?
The funding strategy is multi-year. The number of months you are funded for will depend on when you apply.
Is there funding we can apply for if we need to finish or repair a building?
Building or renovation funding can be applied for under our Minor Capital funding stream.